2
39

Historical square (Ekaterinburg)

Rate this place:

Photos

  • Исторический сквер (Екатеринбург). Photo 1
  • Исторический сквер (Екатеринбург). Photo 2

Description

The historical square in Yekaterinburg, founded in 1973 for the 250th anniversary of the city, is a significant cultural and historical place. It is located on the site of the former Yekaterinburg plant, which was founded in 1723 and became the starting point for the formation of the city. During its existence, several museums were built here, and the remaining buildings of the plant now serve as museum objects.

The square occupies the central part of the city in the Leninsky district. Its territory is limited from the north by the City Pond, from the south by Malysheva Street, from the east by Gorky Street, and from the west by Voevodina Street. The total area of the park is 8 hectares.

The park combines museum and memorial areas. The museum zone is located on the left bank of the Iset River and includes historical buildings, as well as exhibitions of museums such as the Museum of Architecture and Industrial Technology of the Urals, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Blacksmithing.

The memorial area is adjacent to a retaining wall with a bas-relief and includes a “rock garden”, where samples of various minerals of the Urals are presented. Also in this area is the dam of the city pond, known as Plotinka, and a monument to the founders of the city V. Tatishchev and V. de Gennin.

The historical square has become a popular place for folk festivals and city events. Cultural and sporting events, as well as celebrations, are often organized here. In addition, a clock was installed in the park, counting down the time until significant events such as the Olympic Games and the World Cup.

Comments

No comments yet, be the first